I've been reading up on this paint process for a long time so I finally decided to get my hands dirty and see whats what. My little black BMW's black paint is in terrible shape. Not only that but I hate black. I want to paint it white. The sunroof especially is almost completely rusted out so I picked up a 'new' sunroof panel at the JY and and used it for practice.
I tried to integrate everything I've learned here in a step by step process. Sanded the blue sunroof down with 400 grit at first but I found that too be too mild so I moved on to 320 wet. Once I had it down almost completely to the primer I cleaned it off with mineral spirits. I used Interlux Brightside WHITE. 2 table spoons of paint mixed with one table spoon of mineral spirits. I found the paint process very straight forward using the "roll and tip method". I was amazed how well this paint evens itself out when give a day to cure. Other than some light ridges from the brush, there is no orange peel at all with a light coat. I could still see some of the scratches left by the sanding through the paint. I wet sanded the first coat with 1000 grit, cleaned with mineral spirits and put down another coat this morning in the same proportion of 2 parts paint, one part mineral spirits. Its hard to tell from the pics but I still don't have 100% coverage. I'll do a third light coat tomorrow and that should be it.
The pics that follow were taken after the second coat and before any sort of sanding or polishing. I tried to catch as many of the flaws as possible.

Hard to tell anything from this pic

Close up reflection at night with fluorescent light.

Doesn't look that great under extreme close up and the right light but I think the right amount of sanding and polishing should take care of it. Bright white seems to hide flaws very well.

So the plan from here is sand the second coat down with 1000 grit, third coat of 2 to 1 paint, sand with 1000 grit, polish and wax.

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this forum and this paint process. I would have never thought to try something like this before seeing it here. This is the car in question. Let me know what I could change or improve. The Brightside paint is way beyond my expectations and it goes fast. I'm glad I won't have to do 8 to 10 coats as some people have suggested.

Last edited by tjts1; 07/23/07 10:11 PM.