Quote:

Or follow you all in your expierence's... Im going to do the $100 route... Only thing have not purchased is primer! Denver has West Marine and but cant find Brightside primer in there phone book of products..

Visited Napa today... They have that tractor primer stuff that is rollerable... But beeing that I have it down to bare metal... Sounds like the Bright side primer will cover better, to give me better sanding surface... How important is the primer?

Little worried that either would work with the
Rust Sunburst Yellow I'll be using...
Speaking of Yellow Ive learned its also hard to paint Yellow... But if I can avoid fish eye ect. then Im willing to put the extra time in coverage coats.. Sence I cant go metalic, yellow will make it POP...!

Ok... first off... I would not hesitate to use a tractor primer. It would provide good anti-rust protection and probably lay down a nice thicker coat of primer that can be sanded ( old farmers are pretty demanding about products performing or they would have bad mouthed the product in to extinction ).

NOW... after looking at your pics... my mind started formulating how I would approach that project... and the first thing that jumped in my pea size brain is ' Rhino-Coat or maybe it is called Rhinohide ). As you know... they sell a paint/coating that is designed to be rolled or spray bombed in the back of pickup truck beds. It is something like a highly platicized or rubberized coating. The idea behind the product is that it can take a heck of a beating and physical contact and keeps on shining and performing. It has amazing adhesion qualities and it has superior sealing capabilities.

OK>.. so that being said... I would get a gallon of that Rhinohide type coating ( in black ) and use it to paint down all the cockpit floorboards and interior surfaces ( like even the faux interior trunk area, under the rear seats etc. Heck you could even use that stuff to slap a few layers on the underside of wheel panels. It might even be good enough to slap on the underside of the floor panels. It would not only provide you with a superior surface coating for those exposed areas, but it would also provide sound deadening capabilities.

I popped over to your message thread and noticed you had already been using a product called Herculined. I assume it is probably in the same category as the Rhinocoat stuff. I don't know anything about Herculine. But what I do know about the Rhinocoat is that it does give a very durable and attractive 'finished' appearance when it dries. And I don't think the Rhinocoat can be chipped out when rocks hit it or you accidentally drop a brick on the floor panels etc.

I figure that paint on those interior parts of a Jeep would not stand up as well in the long term due to all the direct contact of those surfaces.

OK>.. once I had all those interior parts Rhino coated... I would then move on to the roller primering of all the body panels and then the roller painting of those panels.

Marq.

Last edited by Marq; 03/12/08 08:46 AM.