Quote:

Any ways I stripped the car of chrome and all and sanded with 40, then moved to 60 then wiped it down with degreaser to make sure it was clean and then shot it with rattle can Rustoleum automotive primer which not only covered the bare metal due to rust removal but covered those hideous sparkles embedded in the 2 mil thick clear coat .

I am wondering if the wet sanding will take care of this, does the direction of how you roll seriously matter, and did you get lines in the paint due to paint collecting on the edge of the roller.

Ok... here is my initial thoughts on your story. First I shivered when you mentioned the 40 / 80 grit sand paper. That is pretty coarse.

And when you sprayed the primer on... I can't imagine it having sufficient build to level up the scratches from the lower grit sand paper. Something in the 320 grit sand paper might have been better.

Once the primer was sprayed... you should have wetsanded that primer to smooth it out. Let's say using a 600 to 800 grit...

The way the picture looks.... it is almost like you rolled the paint onto unsanded primer. That would have explained the fuzzy appearance of the black coat.

IF you had sanded the primer - you also needed to again wipe the primer down with a mineral spirit dampened cloth to remove any foreign matter or debris that was left over from the sanding of the primer. Otherwise... you would have ended up with those dots in the paint appearing like in the pictures you provided.

Given where you were at in this posting... I would suggest getting some 800 grit sandpaper out and wetsanding what you have done so far. The idea being to smoother out whatever black paint is already laid down on the car. As always... the rule of thumb is that the smoother the subsurface... the smoother and shinier the paint will look when you roll it on.

Ok... so you wetsand down with the 800 until you have a fairly smooth surface with minimal defects. Then get out your trustly mineral spirit dampened cloth and wipe all the surface down again to remove the debris and crap left over from the sanding.

One hint is that when you wipe a mineral spirit dampened cloth over your wet sanded paint - it will give it a 'hint of its shine potential' until the spirit evaporates off the body. You can use this as a clue to how the potential shiny factor will be when the next layer of paint is rolled on.

Ok... Hopefully at this point we will have gotten the body and paint back to the point where the next coat of paint can be added and hopefully give better visual results and overall gloss.

At this point and onward through the next couple of coats of paint... you should be working with 800 grit and higher ( 1000 or 1200 ) while wetsanding each subsequent or alternative layer.

Hope this helps you get things on track...

Marq