Ace250xr84, Part of the reason you see paint failing so quickly is your location. Florida's climate ruins paint fairly quickly. I'm not 100% on all the technical reasons, but one of the testing methods used by ASTM to measure industrial paint durability is exposure to Florida sun.

In this part of the country, base / clear paint will typically last 10 years. Of course it depends on a LOT of factors. (care, application, initial quality, etc.) Yes, some vehicles had poor quality paint from the factory. One of my cars is in this catagory. It's only 6 years old, but will be repainted within the next year or two.

Every type of paint will fail at some point. I sprayed some Alkyld Enamel on my tractor 9 or 10 years ago. Just thinned it and sprayed it without any other additives. It's been faded badly for the last few years. (It's never been waxed, polished, etc.) Now it's starting to rust underneath the paint, so it's going to be repainted this summer.

The appearance of the tractor is not real important. The appearance of my car is MUCH more important. So even though the car's paint is in better condition than the tractor's paint, both will be repainted.