Quote:

Ahhhh... I think you had better test this all out on some sample. You are introducing too many new variables into the recipe and each of them on their own has proven not to work very well on their own.

The metalic pieces may be small... and that works great with the spray where they are atomized and randomly distributed during the painting. But when you roll.. you are going to find the metal particles concentrating in lines ( that will follow the pattern you rolled the paint on ). The ends of the rollers will leave a slightly greater concentration of metal particles - and hence you will see a pinstriping type effect instead of an even distribution of the particles.

You might as well spray if you are planning to go with that automotive metalic paint. I imagine that any attempt to roll with that paint is going to result in something that is going to have you cursing.

It's a gorgeous color... but the paint and metalic particles is going to prove to be its downfall when rolling and when wetsanding..

Do a sample... but don't do it on the car until you have proven to yourself that it is not going to look like a dogs breakfast

Yeah I am going to sample the paint on something for sure, and I do have access to a 30-40PSI air compressor and paint guns, so I may have to go that route. Is primer still okay to roll?

Quote:

You'll still need the catylist for the paint as well. That is what makes the paint harden as it dries. If you don't use that, the paint will remain soft and you'll never be able to sand or buff it.

From what I have read, you just add the catalyst to the paint in the proper amounts when I am ready to spray?

Update:

I sanded a little today, I went out and got a $20 orbital sander/polisher from Big Lots (Hey, it works), here's the results from my first time (total of 2-3 hours sand time today):

As you can see, there is still semblances of red under what I sanded -- from what I understand, someone painted over the old paint perhaps?

Side shot of the same stuff

Bad color but you get the idea

Much better representation.

How far do I go before I stop sanding? When I no longer see the old color? I am using 50 grit right now, should I up that to a finer grit paper? This is my first time sanding anything. Thanks.