Quote:

Quote:

Another question concerning the use of rustoleum primer. I'm going to use the primer because I have some bodywork to cover up, as well as a lot of rust and a couple different colors of body panels. My question is, do you thin the primer the same as you do the paint?

I would go straight from the can. This will give you a sufficient build of a primer layer so that you can then do a very very light sanding to smooth the primed surface. Smoothest is bestest.. right.

You could go with an 800 or 1200 wet sanding on the primer layer - but be sure to allow the sanded primer layer sufficient time to dry out fully before laying your first coat of paint on it.

Ahhh. I'm really glad the primer question came up. I've been puzzling over this too, since I have a lot of spot bodywork to do. I don't have any rust -- just some dents and dings.

So, given that, how would you guys rank -- or comment on -- the following options for spot bodywork / primering?

Preparation: Remove paint to bare metal, do metal work and bondo work. Now...

Option 1 : Spray a 2K primer with a Preval sprayer.
Questions: When I read about these products, it's always being discussed by professionals and they always default to 2 steps: First PRIMER then PRIMER/SURFACER. Is this necessary?

Option 2 : Roll on a primer specifically made for rolling such as PPG's or U-POL.
Questions: Sounds great at first, but when you read the literature, it looks like these are primer surfacers. They suggest applying an etch primer to bare steel first. Hmmm. Sounds like 2 steps and 2 different types of primer again... Or -- is my bondo coat the first (DTM) layer so I don't have to worry about this?

Option 3 : Roll on Rustoleum or Interlux primer.
Questions: Wondering it this stuff will work well over the bondo and not just soak in. As well, drying times will be longer (than the catylyzed options above) -- which make it a little more of a pain. Especially concerned about it not being fully dry or not drying properly if it sinks into the bondo which might trap solvents deep down...

Thanks in advance -- Dan.