Quote:

What kind of foam brush are you using BTW? Simple generic kinds?

I am using this foam roller...I saw someone else use it so I think it should be okay?

At various points during my painting I also made use of a simple foam brush for doing the bubble popping sweep.

At Home Depot and Walmart they sell these grab bags of cheap foam 'paint brushes' They look like a dowl stuffed into a piece of black foam, that is shaped like a paint brush. They had 3/4 inch, 2 inch, 3 inch and 4 inch foam brushes all packed in these assortment bags.

I used the 3 inch and 4 inch to do the bubble popping... because they did a better, less lines or streaks, then a bristol brush.

BUT I stuck with my high density foam roller to lay the initial coats - and then followed it up almost immediately with the foam 'paint brush' to do the bubble popping and quick surface leveling. You just have to let the foam 'paint brush' float over the bubble populated areas to pop em...

BUT... the cheap foam brushes have one weakness... they start to disintergate after prolonged exposure to mineral spirit or 333 brushing fluid. As well... the paint accumulates on them and begins curing. So you should figure on using at least four of the foam 'paint brushes' during one coat on the car..

a ) one for the left side
b ) one for the right side
c ) one for the trunk and roof
d ) one for the hood

Later I also did the two high density foam roller trick when I ran out of the cheap foam 'paint brushes'...

The high density foams stand up to the mineral spirit / thinner better and do not start disintegrating after prolonged use.

One handy thing about those cheap foam 'brushes' is that I was able to poke and prod them into some spots where the roller could not go. I would hit those crevices first with the appropriately size foam brush.. and then smooth out the edges with the roller. I hope that makes sense... use the foamies to paint any hard to reach spots on a panel... then proceed with your rollering of the rest of that surface second - in order to blend in the paint between the edges of the crevices and the rest of the panel.

Last edited by Marq; 06/11/07 08:42 PM.