Originally Posted By fullmetaljacket
Geeze, I didn't know that they could be that much heavy difference between the Dodges/Plys to the Chryslers.
Some cats here in Brooklyn had some extremely stout 68'-70' Buick Deuce and a quarter's that were giving mid size and small size cars the break. One particular Cadi convertible was totally gutted running its original 500 cubic inch mill on lots of mojo juice. Thing would lift the wheels at launch.

C-bodies, they carry the worlds weight.

Well... you could get a pretty stripped out Fury/Polara... whereas every Chrysler, save the VERY odd Newport, got the full treatment. You're looking at a 2-400lb minimum. Also different suspension components, maybe slightly longer (?) and just... MOAR car. The Imperials? Dont get me started. They're WELL bigger/heavier.

Also dont compare to anything 455 Buick. As the saying goes... "Buick math is different". With the torque those engines make (from the factory... not after a few key (not so easy) mods like our 440's need)... they're fast off the lot. The Buick guys have been making sleepers out ov their full-sizes for decades... and that is a game they love. I've seen full-weight (5000lbs) 11 second 70 Electras. MANY full-load GS's (4000lbs+) in that range. 10 second cars on a little nitrous. These were NOT dedicated race cars! Its this profane little amusement they have... those full-size sleepers. I used to run 455 Buicks... they got a lot right that Mopar's didn't. They just topped out at a certain level (like the above), and going beyond that got VERY expensive... unlike a 440... which can run into the 10's, even 9's cheaply.

Cadillac... on the other hand... is the best ov all worlds. Its still the best kept secret in the big block world. Like the 440's... you recognize and address a couple key weaknesses, and you've got some SERIOUS power to play with. For the cost ov some tricky machining (about a grand), guys have made 542, even 572cid junkyard engines. Cadillac sh!te can get scary...