Originally Posted By dvw
Originally Posted By moparjohn
I started my weight loss log back in 1997 when I started a full points season at US41 DRAGSTRIP in Morroco, Indiana. At that time the GTX weighed 3380 lbs. My last entry was for swapping out the hood pins to aluminum. The GTX is now down to 2904 lbs. With the recent items as posted earlier it should be under 2900 by Christmas!
The GTX body is all original including the factory paint except the hood. It also retains all it's original glass and trim!
Attached is a picture from one our NHRA INDY ET FINALS appearances.
I have owned the GTX since early 1970 and started racing it at the old US 30 DRAGSTRIP near GARY, Indiana. The GTX only had 8,000 miles on it when it was stolen and recovered then bought by me and turned into a race car!

I'm interested in this build. I'm assuming at 2900 it Has an aluminum block, alloy 9" Ford and a glide? Or maybe not and there are far more tricks we need to know about. Backhalf? What does it run, combo?
Thanks Doug

Doug,
Your guess of a alloy 9" Ford rear end is a good idea but wrong.
I can tell you that it's not a Chrysler 8 3/4!
When the GTX got into the 10 second area and running a transbrake I started to have ring gear failures! As the GTX got quicker they happened more often and there were more teeth missing! Then it started to destroy the pinion gear also. I have attached a picture of the failed gears. They get worse left to right.
The one all the way to the right has the most damage and was the most expensive! That was one to be a high quality gear and I had it lightened for LESS ROTATING WEIGHT! I'll bet I have $7-800.00 in that ring and pinion! OUCH! I have a close up of the lightened ring gear in the second picture. I don't have any sponsors just me and the wife. So you can imagine after spending thousands of dollars on a new 493 stroker ( I let that one out! ) with my wife along side the wall for the first hard pass and the GTX moves about an inch !@#$%^&*()! Then I have to tell her that were going to have to go buy a new rear end that will hold up with the new motor! That was a hard sell!

DEC 3566.JPGDEC 3567.JPG
Last edited by moparjohn; 12/22/16 02:38 PM.