Quote:

Excess weight being carted around? I know, I know. I would have a magnesium or stainless K member if the funds were in abundance, but it will have to wait.
I absolutely do not want to trim it down or modify it extensively as I have seen on here, (Though some of those K's are works of art, especially the ones from Bobs fabrication and the one on DVW's ride) but I love the stock look. I also love the stock appearing steering, not really into racks.
Also, I'm not into the headaches of an all aluminum engine block on the street. I think the iron pup can be trimmed here and there to rid it of a few pounds and keep the heat in at the same time.

Why not make one? You're obviously a crafty guy. I'd think making an aluminum hood that doesn't look like some redneck abortion or 'Cars of Walmart' picture ov the month would be a lot harder than fabbing up a lightweight K-member. Its not like they're things ov beauty and finish from the factory.

I agree on the steering. Mine will stay stockish... no matter how much money i find in a duffle bag a few months from now... Well actually... mine will unfortunately probably get heavier... as the demands ov road-racing will require.

I dont see a downside to an all aluminum engine for the street though... well, cost aside. Most new cars are all aluminum. If staying iron... i see quite a few places where a stock engine could lose some heft, inside and out. I think from greasy 100% stock Newport pull-out to fully built and detailed race engine you could lose a 100lbs on a typical big block... possibly a decent amount more.

Quote:

Aluminum doors would be a great self gift some day.
I know I have an easy 230 Lbs that could be removed, but I will have to settle for the more realistic 100 lbs left in it that will get the boot some day.

Thats another line i wont cross... (funny, in this we all have our lines...) is lightweight doors (alum or FG). I've decided not to even take the side-impact beams out... instead i'll modify the hell outta them. I also draw the line at steel bumpers. Not that a semi-lightened steel stock bumper will be much safer than FG with the featherweight brackets i'll be using, but still. I think i'm more ov a gambler in that i'll take weight out ov the actual structure (roof, frame, braces, etc.) than you guys... but i want my doors and bumpers.

You ever think about seam-welding? That will actually add weight, but then you could start to look at structure as another place to start chewing, same as building a nice cage/bar.