Originally Posted By AndyF
Originally Posted By dvw
Originally Posted By an8sec70cuda
Originally Posted By AndyF
The SCAT crank that I used costs about $2500 so it isn't cheap but 440Source sells a low buck lightweight crank. Theirs isn't nearly as light, but it sells for $900.

http://store.440source.com/Ultralight-Crankshaft/productinfo/44042506800-6-LW/

Holy crap that's a lot of money for a SCAT crank! Every SCAT product I've ever messed w/ was WAYYY cheaper than that. The Callies magnum crank that's in my hemi was $1800.

It'd be nice if it was easy to do a back to back test and see just what a lightweight crank is worth as far as power and/or ET at the track. Obviously that isn't feasible, but I bet the power per dollar is pretty low.
I built some sb chevy roundy round motors w/ SCAT Ultralight rotating assemblies. While they were pretty light and impressive looking when on the engine stand, I don't think it was necessarily worth the money.

You have many options for $2500 that will show power. I think that's where I'd spend my money. Of course if money isn't a consideration that's another story.
Doug

That hand built steering wheel didn't add any power either. Nor did the lightweight bumper or the aluminum exhaust. It is all about weight reduction.

I understand that. I also believe that you could make a better gain for $2500 than that crank. Of course we could put that motor in a car and see how it runs?
Doug