Got a few updates from my own project. Just finished my 416 a few weeks ago. Waiting on some gaskets and then it goes back in the car with the rebuilt trans. I have not driven the car since November of 2014.

The 416 makes enough steam to where I am anticipating needing a roll bar so I'm starting up my weight loss program again. I would really like to get my car down to 2,900 or less. Last time I weighed it at the metal recycling place by my house it was 3,060 without me and a full tank of gas so it's around 3,200 'race ready'.

As discussed here recently, I know some of the internals in the motor are lighter for sure. I could easily feel the difference between the new ported RHS/Indys and my old as-cast W2 heads but I did not weigh them, wish I would have. The Diamond stroker pistons are WAY lighter, probably by a several pounds each. The old TRW 340 pop up pistons weighed a ton, they were like bricks. I can't remember the bob weights at the moment but it was light. No more cast-iron filter adapter, no more windage tray (pan has a 'built in' crank scraper) lighter fasteners throughout. Maybe 1/2 lb. of aluminum was ground off the intake when I gasket matched it. Kept the March serp belt pulleys and Denso alt from the old combo.

As for the chassis, the first step will be switching out the brakes. Putting Wilwoods on, maybe this week if I can swing it. Should save some weight over my current SSBC/KH aluminum caliper set up since I will be ditching the OE cast iron hubs for aluminum. The 10" drum spindles might save a little weight over the disc brake spindles themselves but not much. The disc spindles have two extra threaded bosses to attach the caliper but the Wilwoods use a bracket. Didn't much like the SSBC brakes much, they were not great. Wheels will probably be a wash between my old school SBP Centerline Autodrags and old school LBP Fenton Gyros. Staying with the same size 165R15 front runner tires.

After hemming and hawing about it for years, I finally bit the bullet and ordered a fancy aluminum fuel tank from Hot Rod City Garage last week. I seem to be drawn to better mousetrap type things like that. I was hesitant to pull the trigger though because frankly, the price seems insane for what it is. (a gas tank)

Any 'real world cost' is probably out the window in this case but that said, it's .090" 5052 Aluminum vs. the OE galvanized steel so hopefully it will be a nice weight savings. It's also fully baffled and has a sump so no more sucking air when the tank is less than half full and the fuel is sloshing around. No more full length fill tube either, it's replaced by rubber. Not sure if a fuel cell would have been the better choice here but too late now. It will also give me an excuse to change the fuel line from parts store coated steel to aluminum.

I am thinking about a 'glass hood and front bumper in the near future too, might see if I can pick those up at Carlisle in July. I go back and forth about a 'glass front bumper though since I'm not a big fan of painted ones. I might re-visit plastic chroming, maybe it's made some advances over the last few years.

Just to mention a few things about the trans. It's got a 'race prepped' case from A&A which has a cut out for converter bolt access. The cutout could add up to a few ounces? Probably a negligible amount. The case is definitely lighter than stock, I think some other non-essential stuff gets the axe when they do their thing to it. My heavy cast pan probably negates any weight savings though. Cooler lines are the Russell black Twist Lok stuff with aluminum fittings replacing aluminum to the radiator support.

Car is definitely bare bones now but I wanna keep it looking the way it is - full interior, kinda stock looking outside. Running out of obvious places to shed weight, might be heading towards FMJ territory...

'71 Duster
'17 Ram 1500