There are a few ways to go about this.
Chemical milling is the one way of keeping the hood as is and taking weight off depending on what amount of milling is applied.
Keep in mind that chemical milling if done to the upmost will make the hood weak and distort as the springs try to break its back when opening and closing.
The guy that dips for me is an expert and maybe you guys can have a direct chat with him here in Detroit. He really knows his percentages of dip time and metal removal being that he has done numerous hoods, fenders and doors for many cheaters in the SS market.

I would have to safely say that his procedure will be cheaper than a glass hood, though a glass flat hood from AAR/Stinger will be rather nice being that I have seen their products.
They are top notch. I really stared with contemplation at their 65' B stuff and almost pulled the trigger myself.

The other cheap "do it yourself " way is to completely carefully gut out the inner brace structure just leaving the outer skin along with the what's left of the outer rim braces and making it a pin on/liftoff hood. This procedure of course deletes the under hood hinges and springs all together. There lies a good amount of weight removed. Lift offs can be a pain in the hoots sometimes, but at least you get your exercise in. LOL.
One fact though with this second trick: The hood is only going to keep its shape when lifting off and on with the aid of an installed scoop which in your case would be the double snorkel style which in itself acts as a back brace for rigidity. I performed this trick many moons ago using the very first proto-type A-990 glass Hemi scoop and the hood was about 20 or so pounds lighter before adding in the scoop which in turn brought back the hoods weight by about 10 pounds, but it was now a slightly lighter functioning air hood.

So with that being said, A glass flat hood would shave about 35-40 Lbs depending on the stock hoods factory weight. But a flat hinge hood will be a little heavier than a lift off because of all the hood hinge reinforcements. I've seen some glass hoods to be shy of just 10 Lbs from their steel counterparts.
An Acid hood would shave about 25-28 Lbs pounds at most, again depending on what the percentage of removal is and a pin on steel hood would maybe shave 12-18 Lbs.
Most of the weight on these hoods are the outer skins where most of its mass sits.

Last edited by fullmetaljacket; 07/20/16 02:08 PM.