In all honesty, I can understand the ruling being that if for some crazy reason something penetrated the hose at that vulnerable spot, you could have an out of control spillage of fuel in a side impact or roll over that would find itself very easily through crevices into the pilots compartment.
I would think that it will never happen, but you never know.

I gather if CMCHGR runs into question by tech he can fabricate a new full length filler tube out of: hint (Titanium) or make a metal wrap around contraption and end the issue. If not, I would think that a well placed and sealed thin aluminum firewall would not add any questionable weight if indeed Tech comes down and then again, they probably do not enforce the rule at a TNT or regular bracket outing.

Talking tech and fast cars, well F.A.S.T cars in this case. I guess tech came knocking on their doors lately because of the speeds at their Amen corners. Man, I must say, it was nice to see 'em sans roll cages before, but I understand the concerns since some of them have had a glimpse of Elvis lately.