Quote:

I've had an extra steel 64'- 65'dash for a minute now and since the very rare 2% aluminum dashes are nearly as rare to hear a conversation by the water cooler, never mind finding one intact, I decided to give my existing steel dash to a chap out West for a dip in the bubbling chacuzzi.
It was tedious work and all, but never the less, it was a success. It dipped down to 10 Lbs from its original 17 Lbs. A little flimsy on the larger surfaces, but strong in the frame work and mounting tabs where it needs the strength.
7 Lbs lost at top and front of car. I will install this one in the Spring, especially after weighing in for both my sanity and your curiosity. Soon to come.
Check out the process, come on in, the etching solvent is fine.

You sir, are one dedicated individual.

Hard to believe that you can still get this done these days.

Back when I had my '65 Bel I post car, I got a repro AWB fiberglass dash for it. Never weighed it but it felt like it was about half of what the regular steel dash weighed. It was rough and took a LOT of work to make it look presentable. Plus I had too fabricate mounts for it. I wanted it to look stock with the stock bezel, two tone paint and all. Sold the car before I finished it though.

'71 Duster
'17 Ram 1500