Quote:

Yes, If I remember correctly, I used the 518 pan as well. It would be my next choice over an aluminum cast type. Though they say that the fins cast into the bottoms belly make for more cooling effects.
Less weight creates less heat because of less stress.

The cast pan probably helps with cooling, but the big 'ol stacked plate Supercooler I have mounted in front of the radiator is the workhorse. I did use all lightweight lines for plumbing it though - aluminum hard line and fittings with push lock hose for the flex parts. The cooler mount brackets are aluminum too. Could have used the zip ties they give you but those are chintzy. The aluminum radiator I have was ordered without the trans cooler in it so that saved some redundant weight.

The cast pan also has a very thick flange which certainly adds mass. Not to mention the extra material required for the longer bolts to secure it, multiplied by the number of pan bolts.

Thought about using one of those compact heat sink style coolers but wasn't sure if those were stout enough for regular street duty.

You know, this weight reduction stuff can be kind of a balancing act. Do I shave some weight at the risk of losing safety/durability or go with the heavier part for peace of mind?

'71 Duster
'17 Ram 1500