Quote:

RMCHRGR, I agree with you notion of hot rodding and do it yourselfisum but for me Im in an industry that allows me no machine shop access I work in civil concruction in outback Queensland, away from home for 21 days at a time, I fly out to work and fly home for 6 days then Im gone again. in that time my wife and children get my full attention. for me I just buy pre-made enginuity for my hobby, no time to create it. however I do admire your dedication to this but you & I will never be able to create superior front end components to this level or quality by doing it yourself, some things in this hobby just have to be brought out of a catalog.

Again, was not trying to be argumentative, diminish anyone's efforts or say that buying parts from a catalog is wrong. I was compelled to reply because I did not want the subtlety of the ideas presented here to be glossed over.

I definitely do not agree with your statement that "you & I will never be able to create superior front end components to this level or quality by doing it yourself". Though I don't really know him or can speak for him, I don't believe that FMJ is a wealthy guy who just writes checks for stuff. What he and the others have though is a willingness to go the extra mile. Of course the aluminum hubs took XX dollars to produce but was it money spent on the latest bling item or something he thought would fit into his overall vision? I mean really, if what you say is true, there would be no hot rodding!

This particular thread has shown us things that many have not even conceived of let alone executed but can be done with enough dedication and drive to see them through. What Lee in particular is doing is kind of extraordinary in that he is so focused on a single idea. I mean come on, that aluminum brake pedal bracket was really cool.

The whole idea is to think of places and parts that can be breathed on, improved or removed altogether in the name of reducing weight which ultimately translates to better performance. One can make arguments for or against anything here but then the point is lost.

Though I have not gone to the great lengths as some of the guys here have, I try to implement a weight reduction program on my own car while attempting to maintain the 'factory' outward appearance; radio and heater removal using correct delete plates, retaining the small bolt pattern while using lightweight aluminum calipers (from a catalog!) etc. Finding some of that stuff was no small task. I could have just left the holes in the dash but that's lazy. It also announces your intentions to everyone.

For me it's all about pure essence but not in absolute black and white terms. I personally gravitate towards things that may not be what they appear at a causal glance and perhaps have an underlying sinister nature.

In regards to personal situations - I live in the greater NYC area, have a wife and two small kids, a house, friends, other interests, etc. It's lucky I have time to breathe, god forbid I spend time on my hobby. Everyone has their own cross to bear, their own discretionary income and whatever reasons they have for doing or not doing. If buying stuff from a catalog works for you, that's good!

To reiterate, I am trying to point out the difference between critical thinking and 'just getting it done'. Ordering parts from a catalog basically requires no critical thought, it's been done for you. There always seems to be a shortage of critical thinking in this world so I try to appreciate it when I see it.

Whew, stepping off soap box now, sorry to derail this thread. Carry on.

'71 Duster
'17 Ram 1500