Not sure why the sudden negative waves... Whether it's been said out loud or not, the main idea of this thread is about street/strip cars, not dedicated race cars. Sure, the race-only crowd might benefit from some of the ideas here but there is generally less room for interpretation in that instance; you basically do what you have to do to make the car do what you want, case closed. Pure function without regard to form/style or stealth.

If you have a dedicated race car then obviously you start with the best platform for whatever category you are competing in. If you look at it from that perspective, then it's an all-business approach, no need to get 'creative' or make things look a certain way - start with the lightest body you can, gut it, put some go fast stuff in it and run a number.

The one class I can think of where guys might benefit from these ideas is Stock Eliminator. If you can make stuff look like factory but have it be half the weight and go undetected by race officials, then you done good.

I got an A body but I still look for ways to make it light. All steel, full interior, weighed 3,060 with a full tank and no 190 lb driver. It could be lighter for sure - 'glass hood, fenders, bumpers, gut the interior, doors, etc. But then I lose the street car vibe. I like that world. Is it a compromise? Maybe but I'm not in a position to be a full-time racer so I enjoy my car on the street.

It's just a way of thinking here, regardless of what the dollar amount spent/pound actually is. maybe at first Thumper was trying to justify the cost of lighter parts but it's become more than buying things from Jegs, it's about critical thinking and ingenuity.

Sorry, just thought that needed to be said.

'71 Duster
'17 Ram 1500