Quote:

Marq, newbie comment coming here, I thought that the thin coats would bond together to become one thicker layer, but that obviously isn't the case here. Would adding an extra coat between wet sanding do anything for me if I am still going to break down into the previous coat?

Polymer paints always try to form 'chemical chains' with the polymers of the sub-layer. So whether you are doing a thin coat or a thick coat, the chemical reaction will be the same for both - they want to form polymer chains.

The variable here is whether the subsurface is matted flat or unsanded. The websanded surface should give an increased adhesion simply because the paint's carrier is able to more quickly penetrate all the roughened pores of the surface to get a grip.

Quote:

I am trying to get a completely matt flat surface each time; do I really need to be that anal about it?

The main reason to be anal about the surface preparation is because the 'more perfected' the subsurface is, the 'more perfect' the paint job will work out in the end. All the meticulous surface work will pay off with a glossier paint job with no imperfections to detract from the look.

Quote:

Or, should I apply a thicker coat and wet sand it matt flat, then go with the thin coats?

The Brightside paint can be used straight out of the can. As noted the thinning of Brightside is mostly to buy yourself extra working time or to slow down the curing process in a hot work environment.

In some cases I would tend to lean towards one or two thick ( straight from the can ) coats to start off. Then use a wetsanding to bring it all level... then continue with thin layers ( cut with mineral spirits ) to build up some glossier layers and slowly fill in any surface imperfections that may occur during the wetsandings.

But that is not to say that you might want to build up your layers slowly ( using a thinned Brightside ). The main benefit of going all the way with just thin layers is that it allows you to develop your paint application skills from one coating to the next ( with the hope that by the final coating you have the application method perfected ). The other advantage of 'thin layers' is that you shouldn't encounter any 'big mistakes'.

By the time you have done one or two layers ( either thinned or straight from the can ) you will know whether you should continue following that mixture for subsequent layers - or if you should try the other paint mixture