Quote:

I have seen a lot of reference to MAACO on this thread and would like to comment on them. I had a paint job done on a 73 Challenger that was not bad for the price. Unfortunately they didn't paint the hedder panel, (the piece that wraps around the headlights and grill). I was told to bring it back in a couple of weeks. When I did the hedder panel actually got a glossyer, brighter blue than what was on the rest of the car. My brother-in-law had a paint job done by them and it had areas that had bubbles. It was blamed on the body work and they would not repaint. I bought a Gremlin that had a MAACO paint job that pealed at every body line after a year. I wetsanded the car and some areas pealed of like latex. After sanding I sprayed on a sealer (DAS1980), then painted the car. I should have striped the car because the crap under the sealer caused it to lift in several areas. The first time I washed the car with water it had a few wrinkles that settled down after sitting in the sun a while. If you use them you may want to do a little of your prep before you turn it over to them. Just because it is sprayed on doesn't mean it's better. GO ROLLERS!!

Thanks Marq for the reply on the effects of humidity on paint. My guess is that many people don't realize just how much it effects to outcome of the job.

As to the neighborhood assocations problem a few pages back, Call the person in charge of deed restrictions. Then ask if there is anything reguarding paint and body work on your personal vehicle that would be a problem. If you are allowed to change oil in your driveway. I doubt there is.

macco's usually SUCK for paint, BUT i did build a 68 mustang show car, about 10yrs ago and had it painted at macco, but the guy working on my car was this old biker guy and really new his stuff, and did a awesome job for $1100 they stripped the roof (which was vynil) and put in new door hinges, lined up all the pannels, awesome job, the car was painted viper blue, but that was 10yrs ago, and i was reccommend to go only to that shop cause that painter used to work at a high-end shop and quit, went to macco. but on average 99.99999% of macco's are just concerned with getting them in and out the door as fast as possible, somewhere along the line they throw paint on the car!!!!

as for temperature/humidity, i've rollered tremclad in dead canadian winter (-25*deg C) to middle summer (+30*deg C), and the paint behaved the same in all temperature conditions but took longer to dry when really cold. humidity did'nt effect the paint at all, unless it was foggy (100% rel humidity) then there was a haze in the paint as you would get spraying single stage in high humidity, but if it's less than 85% rel humidity, there is absoultly no effect on the tremclad from my expirence at all.

i painted my bug in middle of winter, it was retarded cold outside, and here is the result (you can see my sled, and the snow ):