Quote:

Well... I had a most interesting revelation that ties in completely with this Tremclad/Rustoleum paint method... and I think it may provide a solution to some folks that are sitting on the fence.

I was talking to my older brother about the work I have been doing on my car. I described to him the method by which to apply Tremclad in order to get a hard paint job with a decent look to it on a budget.

He started laughing and explained to me that THERE IS AN EVEN BETTER WAY to do this and it has been done for YEARS with guaranteed REPEATABLE and CONSISTENT results.

Well that caught my ears, because the only weakness with using the TremClad / Rustoleum method is that the results are inconsistent between users and there is almost a hint of Voodoo science for the beginner to get near perfect results...

OK... SO WHAT WAS MY BROTHER'S SECRET ALTERNATIVE ?

.... Marine Paint.

It turns out that the guys with the boats have been HAND PAINTING AND ROLLING the paint jobs on their boats FOR YEARS. The have it down to a science and YOU CAN ROLL a paint like Interlux Brightside STRAIGHT FROM THE CAN - no mixing - no hoping you get the mineral spirit mixed in the right ratios.

The boaters face problems that are identical to car owners.... wear - shine - durability - effects of weather ( sun - moisture etc ).

And best of all Marine paint is designed to HARDEN....

And even better... the Marine paint SELF-LEVELS.

And even better yet... 10 years is the average life expectancy of a Marine paint by hand job...

And maybe the icing on the cake... at most it will take only 2 or 3 coats to get complete coverage.

One last bonus with the marine paint is that you can get a ONE STAGE Polyurethane that is equivalent to the top of the line paint used by MAACO ( their most expensive premium paint job ) and the paint has such a high gloss that it always appears WET.

Ok... I cannot speak here about any Marine paint here except the Interlux BRIGHTSIDE... because my brother is only aware of it being used successfully on CARS.

Here is what the manufactuer says about this product :

------------------------------------

Brightside Polyurethane is the most technically advanced one-part polyurethane available. Brightside now contains Teflon® for better resistance to staining, abrasion and easy cleaning.

Brightside uses Polyflow 4000®, a unique polyurethane resin, which yields excellent flow and leveling characteristics as well as incredible abrasion and chemical resistance. Brightside also takes advantage of the latest in ultraviolet technology which insures longer color and gloss retention.

Together these technologies create a one-part polyurethane which gives the look of a two-part polyurethane with the application ease of a one-part enamel.

Application Details - Brightside Polyurethane
Area Above the waterline
Finish/Sheen High Gloss
Number of Coats: 2 minimum
Method of application: Brush / Roller / Airless Spray / Conventional Spray
Available colors: View color chart and sales codes
Pack sizes: 1 US Quart / 1 US Gallon / (Some colors only)

-------------------------------------

Did you notice where they SPECIFICALLY SAY BRUSH/ROLLER... and it is DESIGNED to be UV resistant and has Teflon to repel chemicals and stains ( like bird poop ).

http://www.yachtpaint.com/usa//product_g...cePageID=6660#1

You can check out the COLOR SELECTION at this link :

http://www.yachtpaint.com/USA/general/colorcard_topsides.asp

NOTE : You need to go to the middle of the color card for the TWENTY-FOUR BRIGHTSIDE color choices...

Brightside

Blue-Glo White Y4259
White Y4359
Hatteras Off-White Y4208
Hatteras Off-White 1990 Y4218
Off White Y4381
Matterhorn White Y4360
Seattle Grey Y4205
Dusk Grey Y4233
Kingstone Gray Y4190
Steel Grey Y4250
Grand Banks beige Y4217
Yellow Y4152
Sundown Buff Y4237
Bristol Eeige Y4207
Ocean Blue Y4253
Fire Red Y4248
Sea Green Y4247
Light Blue Y4351
Flag Blue Y4990
Dark Blue Y4316
Largo Blue Y4100
Medium Blue Y4353
Sapphire Blue Y4241
Black Y4258

Better yet... find your local marine paint dealer that sells Interlux and get a copy of their color chips - they are even better in person than the color samples on the Internet.

Ok... so that is TWENTY-FOUR colors that you can use DIRECTLY from the can to your car without mixing in any mineral spirits etc.

This will have to be considered the premium version of the Tremclad paint job - in that the Brightside paint goes for $19 to $45 per quart ( depending on where you buy it from.

And yet is is a 'roller job' designed paint and your methodology is the same as we have been discussing for the Tremclad / Rustoleum method.

Oh... did I mention that it is enamel compatible and you can sand down your last Rusto/Tremclad layer and lay this paint over it

So you are going to pay a little more per can for this stuff... BUT I think the reduced number of coats required for coverage, the elimination of the mixing of thinners, the fact that it is a one stage Polyurethane, the fact that it is roller and brush ready from the can... makes it a worthwile candidate to consider if you want to try the 'budget paint' process on your car.

And the surface preparation requirements for a boat are the same as what everyone has to do to prepare for Tremcladding.

We all know how sharp the paint jobs on speed boats look... and the conditions under which that type of paint must operate. So it is a natural for bringing over to the home do it yourself car enthusiast.

And I don't think I need convince anyone about the durability of marine paint jobs.

Nuff said. I really wanted to share this info with everyone because I think it is definitely the next step up from the Tremclad roller job - and that it solves the repeatable and consistency problems that folks have experienced.

Say goodbye to orangepeel... when you are only having to lay 2 or 3 layers you just reduced greatly the chances of an orangepeel breakout during the 6 to 10 layers of Tremclad you have to lay to get full coverage.

Hi, marq
Do you still do the same process with the wet sanding? Will you still get the same shine results on a car as tremclad/rustoleum?