Quote:

Can you guys recommend a recipie as far as mixture, sanding method, etc that would go under...

* Hides flaws well
* Covers well - 2-3 coats would do fine

Since you are hoping to end up at a mineral gray type color... I would suggest that you do one uniform PRIMER color on the entire car. In the photo you provided, it appears you have a black hood and a white or light colored body.

If the entire car is going to go to the mineral gray color.. you should decided if you want it to a dark mineral gray or a light mineral gray - because the primer color you apply to the body will impact the end color of the paint job. A white primer with a gray mineral applied over it will eventually give you a lighter looking mineral gray when the job is done - as compared to a car that began with a gray primer beneath.

I really liked the coating ability of the Interlux PRE-Cote primer. You can roll it on... using the same application methods that you will be later applying the paint. It hides just about everything colorwise and is thick enough that it can fill in any minor scratchs or swirls in the subsurface.

You could do two coats of the primer. The first coat would be straight our of the can and for the second coat you can cut the primer with 50% of the paint that you will subsequently be using to paint the body with.

For both primer coats I would follow sand the primered layers using a 400 grit to smooth the surface in preparation for the addition of the next layer.

If you are using the Brightside paint.. I think you will have to be ready to do about FIVE layers... Two for the primer painting layers and three for the actually painting with the color.

If you are planning to paint with the Tremclad/Rustoleum combination... I think you will have to be ready to do about TEN layers.. two for the primer painting layers and eight for the actually painting with the color of your choice.

From what I have read of Charger's comments regarding the Tremclad/Rustoleum... he usually goes directly to paint with the mineral spirt cut paint and doesn't go to a primer level first. But as we have noted with Exit's project car ( when he was using red, it took him up to 10 layers of painting to get a uniform color so that you could not see the ghost of various colors that were on the initial starting layer.

Last edited by Marq; 07/29/06 09:08 AM.