Quote:

I was going to do the Tremclad way and still may if this does not work out ,but I am looking a two tone gray scheme I tryed mixing stock tremclad gray with other mixed grays to get the shades I was looking for.It can be done but could not be reproduced should I need at a later date.The bright side Steel Gray and Kingston Gray matchup almost perfectly at least in the color chart.
Sorry for the long post.
Bryan

Well I am in the midst of advancing one of my theories into reality and you might be interested in this.

I went over to the Michael's Craft Store ( I believe they have locations in Canada and the States ) and I picked up two can's of KRYLON red metalflake ( sparkles ) paint. Normally you would spray this paint on crafts or candles to give them a sparkling effect. This Krylon 'sparkle' paint should be available in other stores that stock crafting supplies or have a good selection of Krylon spray paints.

So I rushed home and gave a test spray of this sparkle paint on my test piece. The result BLEW ME AWAY. It changed the appearance of my Fire Red to more of a Candy Red ( with zillions of little red sparkles merging beautifully with the red paint.

I could have gone with the gold sparkles or the silver sparkles... but I wanted something 'subtle'...

This experiment might be of interest to you with the gun metal gray. If you were to lay on one coat of gun metal gray, then give it a light sanding, give it a spray of the silver sparkles and then lay on your next coat of gun metal gray I believe you will end up with a gun metal gray with the look of a Ford mineral gray ( with those little silver flecks caught between the layers echoing the sunlight off them...

My plan of action is to do the above steps twice.. basically
a ) fire red Brightside layer
b ) red sparkles layer
c ) fird red Brightside layer

If I like the look of it at this point I will stop... if I want to add a little more sparkle and depth to the paint job I will proceed to another...

d ) red sparkles layer
e ) fire red layer - final coat

I am pretty sure at this point that it should also work with the Tremclad / Rustoleum paint process as well - since the layers that are being put on are fairly translucent.

So this is a viable way ( at $5.99 per spray can ) to get metal flake into your paint job and go a step ahead of the one dimensional single color paint jobs.

Last edited by Marq; 07/15/06 10:12 PM.