Quote:

Hey marq, I saw a couple pics of your mustang, looks real good.

About how large of an area should I paint before stopping and going over it again with the other two brushes? As in like, do a whole door, then go over it again go get rid of the bubbles, or should it be after every swipe of the roller? Or after every time the roller is out of paint??

I worked one panel or area at a time. I would lay down a coat on a fender and by the time I got the surface coated I would then be able to go back over the freshly painted surface to work out any bubbles or to catch any runs or to just level out any roller stripes where the paint went on a little thicker at the outer edges of the roller.

The theory behind getting a coat on before going back over it was to allow the bubbles ( if any ) to have a little time to pop on their own without my assistance.

Then I would move on to the door and follow a similar routine. Panel by panel. The hood equals one panel and the trunk area represented a panel for the purposes of this application routine.

For the boats.... they recommend that it should be a two person paint job. Person A lays down the paint while Person B follows closely behind doing the bubble popping. But I think we can all agree that 'recommended' procedure is just unworkable. The biggest problem being having someone on call and readily available to 'be there' when you want to lay on coats. The other problem being that 'we' as the painter, are relying on 'someone' else to be meticulous in their popping the bubble chore.

So by having 'one person' doing one panel at a time, you can maintain the 'quality control' - while not overextending the working time to pop the bubbles successfully.