Oh Chuckie... this is going to be a long one...

Quote:

Quote:

By the way, I took my fingernail to the sprayed on rustoleum in my door jambs, and if I press hard enough it comes off. So I'm looking for something HARD at this point if I am going to repaint it.

The other question is if a hardened 2 part poly would pull up the rustoleum underneath it.

Looks like you guys are finally seeing the problems I talked about a few months ago...The info given on this forum goes from guess work to just plain BS!

Oh that is a real appropriate example to quote there Chuck... an area that was SPRAY PAINTED in the door jamb with an aerosol SPRAY BOMB.

I know you are starved for something to critique and use to support your anti-antirust paint bash.. but why pick on a spraybombing in a door jamb.

Quote:

I painted my car with "real" auto paint and here's a couple of observations for you:

Rather than a few tainted observations I would rather have you offer to us a FEW PHOTOGRAPHS... preferably a few close ups as well.

A video shot of you attempting to scratch the surface of your fresh automotive paint would also be appreciated to assure us that your paintjob can resist the deliberate digging of a fingernail into it.

Quote:

a. You CANNOT paint over soft paint...if you do not remove it, it will have an adverse reaction with the two-part paint.

Now... was that your BS or your GUESS ? You basically just said the same thing that I had. The only difference being that I tried to explain WHY I thought that it would not work.

But I think even a chimp in the trees in Africa could have concluded or guessed or BS's that ANY PAINT put on top of an unstable subsurface is not going to workout.

However it is not a question of whether he is spraying OVER "soft paint'... but how the catalyst and chemical reaction may react with the paint it is applied over. But then again I am only guessing

Quote:

b. You can roll on auto paint...after adding hardener it will last about 2 hours before hardening beyond use...the upside, you can mix as little as a few ounces at a time so drying before rolling shouldn't be a problem...

I don't think anyone has anything negative to say about buying automotive paint and trying to spray or roll it. Heck.. even I went to a marine paint. But let us go back to the original purpose for this thread to find the cheapest way for a home fixer-upper to do it himself at low cost and minimal mess. The Charger method has successfully achieved that for quite a few examples in this thread who posted their photographs of the finished job.

And I truly believe that if enough people were totally screwing up their 'ride' because of information contained in this thread, than they would have joined your solo chorus. It is a simple law in the consumer world that MORE PEOPLE COMPLAIN than THAN THOSE WHO TAKE THE TIME TO GIVE PRAISE. And yet oddly in this thread things are completely inverse with the number of folks that are pleased and proclaiming it far outnumbering the naysayers ( at this point which consist of just you ). Odd.

Quote:

EXIT, i noticed the post on the previous page about going broke doing the auto painting...I guess this budget paint job isn't so budget!!

Come on Chuck. Don't take what EXIT said out of context or try to pretend that you are blind to the fact that most of EXIT's work on his paint job was done to experiment, test out how the colors would look, test the technique and refine his skills and most to share with everyone what he was learning along the way. But most importantly, EXIT said it as a JOKE... an amusing distortion of fact designed to illicit a chuckle in the readers of this thread. I am confident that you have been an avid reader of this thread and so I find that attempt to distort EXIT's comments to be misleading at the least.

I am curious why we only hear from you when you sense you have picked up on something negative being said about the paint or the process. AND yet you remain silent and fail to acknowledge all the pretty darn good looking paint jobs where the proud owners have graced this thread with pictures of their cars.

And to show you that I am a fair and equitable guy... I will say that you are right to some degree. Eventually ALL PAINT JOBS end up looking like crap... and I am including in this list factory paint jobs, pro paint shop paint jobs, home spray jobs and home roller jobs. It's called ENTROPY and this affects not only your cars paint job, but even something like your human body.. in that it is a proven state of physics that there is a tendency for all matter and energy in the universe to evolve toward a state of inert uniformity. Basically put... all things turn to caca at some point.

I am sure everyone will thank you for providing the link to that company selling automotive paint. But I think a more constructive role for your postings in this thread would be to share with us what you learned while painting your car with that automotive paint.... I had no hesitation offering up that Brightside marine paint as a natural evolution of the Tremclad/Rustoleum thread and if you have been able to roller job automotive paint than I am certain there are a lot of people who would like to benefit from your hands on experience.

Last edited by Marq; 09/22/06 10:25 PM.