Quote:

Marq,

And lastly, when you first started talking about the Brightside paint you mentioned it susposed to last for up to 10 years. I'm wondering where you got this information. (The interlux website does not seem to have any technical data sheets with ASTM ratings for any of their paints)

I picked up that average number from discussions going on the boat message boards. Folks were discussing the merits of the AWLGrip paint versus the Brightside and folks were piping in how long their finishes had held up in 'real world' usage.

Now the problem with boat guys... is that a speed boat in some warmer climate ( where it is summer all year round ) and some boat guy up in Canada where they might only have their boat in the water for 3 months of the year tends to distort their 'real world' experiences.

But the overall drift that you would have picked up from their discussions is that this paint job 'should' have 'at the minimum' the same life expectancy as a professionally applied paint job.

The other key factors for the long life expectancy of the Brightside is :

a ) it contains a UV protectant - to lessen fading over the years..

b ) it contains Teflon - to reduce or eliminate staining - or at the least make the clean up easier while protecting the paint by providing a Teflon surface that crap like bird poop and road tar can get a solid grip on etc.

I wouldn't expect the manufacturer to be bold enough to post any claims about the life expectancy of their product because there are just so many variables that could impact the long term viableness of a paint job. So all we can rely on are these 'old salts' who have applied the paint and had some long term experience with it on their boats.

About the lowest life expectancy that I saw quoted by some of these boaters was 'that they had to repaint after three years'. But as you read on in their message, they would mention that they had been banging the boat against the wharf, beaching the boat on to the sandy beaches and other such things that would help cut short the life expectancy of the best of paints

Last edited by Marq; 07/05/06 11:25 PM.