Quote:

Quote:

I am concerned about this uneven coloration once I get to painting. When shopping for paint supplies, I did pick up a can of the Pre-Kote Interlux Grey Primer for Brightside "just in case," with the hope that I could return it unopened. I'm not sure now. I may brush over the existing primer spots with black Brightside, sand, evaluate, then do my first full coat of black... unless I'm just making more work for myself.

The uneven coloration is something you would face with Tremclad/Rustoleum or the Brightside during the initial build up of layers. You may recall previous messages where we discussed how the paint, when applied with a roller and properly thinned is almost translucent (you can see through the layer of paint your are rolling on )

The value of the Pre-Cote at the start of the painting process would have simply provided you with a uniform colored substrate to begin with.

So, I now have all of the clearcoat (and a good deal of bascoat as well) sanded off of the hood. ( The Porter-Cable sander worked pretty good on a large flat area such as this.) After that, I went over everything once more with the 220 sanding block by hand, took care of lips, edges, and crannys, then went over every thing once again with the 320 sponge as a final pass before a solvent wipe down.

However... there are many edges that - despite careful sanding - have been sanded down to bare metal, and I am concerned about skipping the Pre-Kote primer. Otherwise, the hood is in good shape, with about only 2 *tiny* nicks that I have found that are too deep to sand out. After all, the paint does say to prime bare metal...

These spots are small, but you know how it is with edges... everything just comes right off!