It's an interesting question that you raise concerning the problem you are experiencing with dust spoiling your finished and highly polished work.

I was tossing that scenario around in my mind and the first thought that popped into my head was that the dust might be reacting with the sunlight to concentrate pockets of heat on your finish ?

Bear with me. If the surface was 100% dust free - the sun beating down on the paint and wax would be evenly distributed over the paint.

BUT... if there were dust particles on the car and they heated up under the sun to a higher temperature then the paint or wax benath itbelow... I wonder if it might be able to melt into the wax ?

Now the other thought that struck me was a question about the actual structure of this 'dust'. For example, is the dust simply road dust or dirt that has gotten stirred up and landed on your car... or could this dust be pollen from tress in the area... or maybe even dust from some guy down the street mixing his own batch of concrete mix ? Both of those scenarios would probably place dust on your car that are giving off some nasty chemical type reactions ( in the same vain as bird poop could eat away even the best of waxes or professionally applied paint jobs.

The scenario you are describing is kind of odd and so I think you have to think outside of the box for the answer.

Now another scenario might be the wax and the 'still curing' paint beneath it. Let us pretend that the mineral spirits have not yet 100% evaporated from the paint job. Could the 'still evaporating mineral spirits' not possibly have an adverse effect on the wax ? I am imagining a scenario here where the paint job is sort of like some Martian landscape with little geisers lurking just below the Martian surface. Every now and then a little spurt of gas eeks its way to the surface as the sun beats down on it. That could possibly create a scenario where these gases escaping could damage the wax surface above it. In this type of scenario the dust could simply be a red herring and not the direct cause of the damage to the waxed surface ? Or the dust could simply be gravitating to these little geiser pot marks in the waxed finish ?

All I know for sure is that the mineral spirit does have the ability to strip most types of car waxes off a car ( like when you were initially prepping the body for painting ).

If these scenarios sound like they might explain the problem... the answer would be to hold off further waxing for quite a while and let the paint and its constituent of mineral spirit reach the maximum level of curing. Maybe you have to hold off for three months before waxing again... or maybe even six months.

Of course the circumstances by which your car is exposed to the heat of the sun also would be a variable in how long or fast this 'absolute' curing point would be reached.

And I have the strange lurking feeling that the odorless mineral spirits would probably take longer to reach a level of 'absolute' curing then the regular mineral spirits which don't have an inhibitor to slow down its rate of evaporation.

Dunno... I am no scientist but those are the first thoughts that popped into my mind to explain what you might be experiencing.

Maybe you could try a little experiment by ;

a ) slapping your favorite wax on a normal car paint job...

b ) take your the mineral spirit that you are using and soak a clean cloth with it.

c ) now wring out the mineral soaked cloth until it is almost completely dry.

d ) place the cloth over the 'waxed' area and just leave it there for twelve hours. Don't bother rubbing the wax. Just place the cloth over the waxed spot.

e ) then remove the cloth after 12 hours and see if the vapours that would have still been evaporating from the moist rag had any impact on the shiny wax surface ?

This is similar to the old experiment where you take the mercury from an old fashioned thermometer and place it about 5 inches away from something that contains real silver. The gases that evaporate from the mercury has the ability to turn all silver that the airborn vapor comes in contact with to turn into an irreversible BLACK color.

Last edited by Marq; 06/15/06 10:04 PM.