Son of a Seadog! This puppy just keeps on growing! Well, here's my story. I lived in Guadalajara, Mexico back in the mid-nineties and bought a mint 1979 Fairmont Squire (woodie). My wife is Mexican; I'm a Canuck. We moved back to Canada in 1999 with the car and a new 1.5 ton commercially-built steel Utility trailer (Lots of Panels to test on).

I blew the engine (5.0L with AC) and decided to drop a fresh 200 ci, Inline 6 cyl. I got a Canadian 1978 Fairmont 2 door, rusted with a professionally rebuilt engine and trans, new exhaust, written off because some drunk backed into it in a Parking lot! Go figure?!

Anyway, the engine is in, after changing the from K-Member, steering, brakes, struts, etc. And! I have to change all the wiring in mine to use the Electronic Distributor, Cruise Control, and eliminate the AC. Well, my car is still, as Rust Free as most southern, mid-west cars. My floor boards still have the original primer under the carpets, and there's no structural rust anywhere.

Even my carpets are like new, but faded. I'm restoring the woodie panels and trim, after I do the paint job, via this method. I hang out at the FordSix.com forum site, and got here, from there, where the topic is lovingly, but dubiously called the '50 dollar paint job'.

I downloaded all of 69Charger's and Exit1965's and RickLandia's comments and photos, and many of the comments and critiques of other members that offered alternate materials, tips, and Serpent Warrior's hilarious tale of painting in an HD parkade. That's the most hilarious story I've ever read. I've done road side and parking lot fixes, but he told it so 'straight faced' that my ribs still hurt, two days later!

Now, I'm not a noobie to Chryco rides. My dad and I built 392- Hemi-powered fuellers in the late 60's, and when our funny-car bread-wagon wasn't allowed in the last NHRA races (they can blow into the next lane or the fans with a 3 mph cross-wind at 160 mph), we put the 700 hp beast into a 1965 Monaco (red with a new white top) - we had to trim the A-frames by 3/8" to get it in.

But this Fairmont wagon is so sweet and served so well, that I figured at 40 mpg (CDN Gallons), I can justify giving her a full refresher.

We started a new small business and I wasn't going to drop the $7,000 the shops wanted to do what I can with this method.

Thanks to all of the skeptics and willing champions for their perseverance and continuity. You guys rule!

I sold my Monaco in the Ottawa Valley, so it may still be around. Anyway, the engine was from a 1966 Imperial, and we drove all the way down to Florida, and searched the yards in Alabama and Mississpi and even around New Orleans for the D300 Heads and Dual Carb setup (Solid Lifters) and cam. It was hot in the Imperial, but it was a screamer in the Monaco. My dad got $1,800 worth of tickets in two weeks after we finished it, and he knew all of the police, as a Junk Yard owner. He didn't know they were training new rookies.

He sold me his half of the car to pay the fines! I sold it, to buy a new Valiant 2 door.

The effort in this post, by the key players and the skeptics is what convinced me, along with the results.

Well done!

3245836-IMG_1936.jpg (498 downloads)