Two questions have been raised that I will attempt to address...

a ) Epoxy paints... and
b ) Top Secret brand paints.

a ) With epoxy paints there is usually more surface preparation required than say a polyurathane or a Tremclad/Rustoleum Enamel. With the Pettit brand the surface preparation was enough to scare off most boating 'do-it-yourselfers'. IF you were to give consideration to an epoxy base paint you DEFINITELY should research what surface preparation or base coats you will HAVE TO DO according to that paint manufacturer. In some cases the surface preparation may be minimal and ideal for a 'do-it-yourselfer'... OR in some cases it may be a nightmare scenario with a lot of pre-painting work that will make it not seem like the right route to take. An epoxy paint should have superior adhesion and hardness... BUT that very hardness may be the downfall in the automotive situation where the 'skin' has zero flexibility. Put it on a rubber bumper and it 'may' crack off when the bumper is bumped for example. Even a road chip may be sufficient to chip a chunk of it when hit hard enough - rather than flexing with the impact. Again, you need to see what the particular paint manufacturer has to say about the flexibility of the paint on a specific type of surface...

b ) Believe it or not I had read about the Top Secret brand of paint - and if I was living in the States I would probably have given them strong consideration as a potential paint. YES, they have an incredible color range... and YES I had read about a number of people who were thrilled by the results of their paint. Shiny, ease of application and overall great results. So the Top Secret brand may be another resource that the folks on the US side of the border can add to our paint type arsenal. I believe they will ship beyond the US borders. So I would have no qualms about giving their paint a try based on what I read about the company, their quality of customer service AND the quality of their paints.

That having been said... I would restrict my search of colors and product with Top Secret to their TS-4 paint - which is a ONE PART POLYURATHANE... ( notice that I am deliberately choosing their one-part polyurathane over their epoxy paint... )

If you go directly to the TS 4 page, you can check out their color selection and their product bio...

http://www.topsecretcoatings.com/ts-4_urethane_reinforced_alkyd_gloss_4849821.htm

I will post their product bio here as well since it says the very things that we WANT to see in a possible paint candidate :

Quote:

Our advanced 1 Part Urethane Reinforced Alkyd provides a waterproof enamel like finish that is so tough, so durable you will want to use it in a wide variety of applications. Provides excellent service on automobiles, parts, heavy equipment, off road vehicles, trailers, machines, interior and exterior trim or anywhere protection from exposure to challenging weather conditions requires the toughest alkyd on the market today.

Like our TS 100 1 Part epoxy it is a blend making it an unusual and exceptional product to use. TS 4 can be used almost anywhere and in almost any application where you want a hard, tough, long-lasting finish inside or out.

Use it with confidence in any exterior application where exposure to water, hot sun, and extreme wear conditions are typically a problem. Great for interior or exterior uses where protection from heavy foot traffic, abrasion, or typical wear and tear is a concern.

TS 4 offers the ultimate in a tough, highly durable, protective finish that excels in a wide variety of automotive, mechanical and industrial applications.

It comes in 36 stock colors, plus 13 camouflage colors, however, we can provide you with any custom color by special order.

It dries quickly and self levels to a hard gloss finish that is excellent for wood, metal, concrete, ceramics and most any surface conceivable.

Not available in clear.

Spray, brush or roll it on! It is self-leveling, lead-free, non-toxic and resists chipping, cracking peeling and chalking when properly applied.

Economical to use because coverage is approx 400-450 square feet per gallon however, actual coverage area depends on the color, texture and porosity of the surface being coated. For best results reduce and clean equipment with TS 101 Thinner.

Usually only one coat is required. Apply by brush, roller or spray. Available in quart, gallon or five gallon cans.

Marq

Last edited by Marq; 03/19/07 09:10 PM.