Quote:

So is rust, or brightside gettin better results? OR does it even matter, i think i read that with brightside you dont need miniral spirits to thing it out, its already good to go?

I believe both paint processes will give you equal results in the end. I swithced from the Rustoleum process to the Brightside process simply to cut down on the amount of work needed... it takes less coats and provides a glossy layer at each step of the procedure.

With the Brightside you can paint with it straight out of the can.... HOWEVER... I found it better to cut the paint with their thinning liquid which is specifically sold for the purposes of Brushing & Rolling. They call it a Brushing Liquid and they refer to it as product number 333 ( so as to be not confused with their actual thinning liquid ). On the can they say you can use from 5% to 10% of the brushing liquid with your can of paint. It's whole purpose is to buy you additional working time with the paint when applying it and to allow the paint additional time to self level. I found that when I cut the paint with the brushing liquid it made the bubbles more self-popping. In some ways you could say that the Interlux Brushing Liquid acts very much like how the mineral spirit helps the Tremclad/Rustoleum to self-pop its bubbles.

Naturally and logically whenever you thin a paint it will thin out the solids being applied to each layer that you are painting. So this may require that you complete one extra layer to the paint job in order to have laid down the same amount of pigment or solids... compared to if you had just laid down the paint straight out of the can.

Initially I did try to lay down a layer of paint straight out of the can... but after the first panel I immediately began cutting the paint with their 'Brushing Liquid". It just seemed to lay down better and gave me that extra bit of time to work the layer of paint with the second roller to make things appear visually even ( no roller lines and to pop any bubbles that had not self popped ).

Now... the Brushing Liquid sold by Interlux is basically 'Ketone'... as compared to 'mineral spirits' which are used to cut the Tremclad/Rustoleum. I believe that you might be able to use the smelly 'mineral spirits' to cut the Brightside paint. Basically they are both serving the same purpose - in that they are evaporative carriers. Meaning that although they are making the paint 'wetter' for when you are applying the paint... their key purpose is to evaporate and leave the paint solids behind. I believe that the mineral spirits may be slightly slower at evaporating WHEN COMPARED against the 'ketone'. This would suggest that using mineral spirits to cut Brightside paint might buy you yet more time for the paint to self-level and self-pop the bubbles.

One other thought did strike me during the painting process with Brightside and cutting it with their brushing fluid. We all are aware by now that the amount of gloss and shine of your final layer of paint is DIRECTLY AFFECTED by the amount of humidity and temperature. In fact Brightside clearly identifies humidity as a factor that we should work around. The key being that when you are in position to lay down your final layer... make sure that the temperature is cool and that humidity is LOW !

When I arrived at my final coat of paint I had to delay that painting by FOUR DAYS - because we were in the middle of a h3llish heat spell ( 35 degrees celcius ) with humidity factor that made it feel like 43 degrees celcius ( approx 114 degrees farenheit ). So I held off the final coat of paint until the morning temperature was MUCH COOLER and the humidity had dropped back down to normal levels. I believe this may have helped give the higher level of gloss compared to my earlier coatings.

Sorry that I have to write an essay to answer simple questions. But for folks who are reading these threads, they are on a quest to get as much information as possible to help them decide about the merits of attempting one of these 'roller jobs'.

Last edited by Marq; 08/06/06 10:35 AM.