Quote:

Just thought I'd share this...

While I'm still getting through the last few coats that I'm painting on my cowl grill, I've decided to use a shortcut for places that are difficult to roll or a pain in the butt to sand.

For instance, door jams, the water catch undernear my rear hatch (280z), bottom side of the cowl panel, etc etc.

I've already done this to the bottom side of my cown panel because I didn't see the point in making it look 100%. Nobody is EVER going to see that except me. So what I did is find the same color in a spray can and spray it. I think I did 2 coats -- maybe 3 -- and it looks great. I could probably wet sand it and buff it, but for areas that don't get seen much, it is saving me time and looks just fine.

The water catch area underneath my rear hatch is partially going to be covered with new weather stripping once I put it back on. But don't mistake me, I'm still preping the area just as I would any other surface. That's a must. But this way those little areas get color easily.

Anyways, just thought I'd give a random tip.

That’s a great idea. In fact, after brushing my bug I thought of the same thing. It would’ve been easier to just rattle can a few areas (grill areas, door sections around the windows, etc.)

I’ve also had the same problems of the paint being too transparent in some areas. The rattle can fixed that. Do notice how when you spray from cans, the spray is really solid? It must be because it flashes so quickly. Anyway, after I brushed some white paint and noticed the original paint showing through, I rattle canned the darker areas with white paint, let it dry, sanded a bit then brushed again. I’ve used the same technique where I had to put putty primer to fix pinholes. So far, so good.

If you have any doubts about the durability of rattle can painting a vehicle, check out these sights:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=190280

How to Do it:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=249432