Quote:

My interest is to what we can do that would not involve professionals.

Well... speaking for myself... I can assure you that I am about the most unprofessional body and paint man that you have ever met. Most of my learning has come from the school of hard knocks where I try something, blow it and then strip it down and begin again.

I am probably like most users who first read this thread. I am familiar with Tremclad and Rustoleum and I was a little leery about this. But after looking at the recipe that was given by Charger it did strike me that it was a feasible way to do it...

And do it I did for the first five or six coats. But like the skeptical people here I also was concerned that I did not want to go through a ton of work and subsequently have my paint go bad sometime down the road. The suspicion about the long term expectancy of the Tremclad Rustoleum nagged in the back of my head as I worked away with it. BUT the paint was going on and it was doing EXACTLY what Charger had promised... so I was sold on the TECHNIQUE because even my total lack of experience was not screwing things up.

So with further reading I learned that this TECHNIQUE is tried and true by the marine guys... and this is how most boat owners get fresh paint on their boats. That little bit of knowledge gave me more comfort with the idea of using MARINE paint... since I know that a polyurathane is going to outlive an enamel paint job.

But falling back to your question, I really believe that this TECHNIQUE, no matter which of the paints you use ( Tremclad/Rustoleum or Brightside )will work and give you quite reasonable or excellent results even if you are totally inexperienced. The key thing you need to have in your TOOLBOX IS PATIENCE...

a ) patience while preparing your car body for the paint... getting it as smooth as you can..

b ) patience during the rolling and wet sanding stage...

c ) patience while your friends look over your shoulder and laugh that you are using a roller to paint your car

d ) patience while you wet sand, compound, polish and wax your car.

So in this case patience and lots of time so that you are not rushing the job will be greater assets to a good final product than if you are Joe Professional bodyman.

But I do admit that if you happen to be Joe Professional Bodyman, than the odds are that the results you can tweak out of using this technique will probably be nothing short of amazing.