Quote:

Then I do a wet sand. I use 1500 grit to try and remove the faint brush marks that are left as well as any dust that has settled during drying (not much as I'm doing this in the basement). Every time I seem to go through to the previous paint layer in a few places, which then means that I am stuck with those ridges.

Everyone says to do thin coats, but that's no good if I keep having this problem. What am I doing wrong?

It sounds like you are following the recipe correctly. The big variable here is the amount of pressure you are applying while doing the wetsanding.

Wetsanding in the basement is not as much fun as doing it in the garage or out in the driveway.

When I was doing my car, I was outside and I had a hose in one hand and a wetsanding block in the other. I was basically soaking the surface and lightly skimming the sanding block over the wet surface like a hovercraft. I was really not laying much pressure down on the wetsanding pad.

Working out of the basement, I would guess that you are not able to wet the surface enough to cut down on the sanding abrasion.

You may want to try laying down 3 layers of paint prior to wet sanding... to compensate for the more abrasive wetsanding you are experiencing.