Quote:

I was using latex gloves. I will admit I forgot to change them before painting.

It sounds like you did everything right and so that makes that one little glitch seem all the more weird..

The only thing different was the use of latex gloves - although I can't really see them being at fault either. However I will talk about the latex gloves simply because it is an element that I have not personally used.

I can think of only two types of latex gloves... the bright yellow dishwashing gloves ( although they are more closely akin to rubber gloves than latex.... or the medical style ( cheaper by the box condomish colored type latex gloves.

I am not sure how either of those gloves would react chemically to mineral spirits or any other solvents. We already know that these solvents have the ability to eat away at certain foams used in the rollers over prolonged periods of exposure to the liquids.

I know I am grasping at straws here... but possibly the exposure to the mineral spirits caused a breakdown in the latex/rubber and released something from the gloves that passed to the car part that you were painting.

The only other thought is that the one difference between the kitchen type dishwashing yellow gloves and the box of 'cheaper by the box' type nurses latex gloves is that the latter type usually are packed in the box with a baby powder type coating to keep them from sticking to each other and to make it easier to slip your hand into the glove. There could be a slim chance that this powder on the gloves could be the type of contaminent that might interfere with the paint adhering properly. I don't really think this is a viable explanation for your problem because you appear to have done everything right and the wipe down with mineral spirits would have hopefully that powder 'if' these were the types of gloves worn.

I do not know what the powder is in the 'cheaper by the box' type latex gloves... but imagine this if you will. Let us say that prior to the final mineral wipe some of this 'powder' transferred to the body part. And let us say that when the mineral swipe happened it simply spread the powder rather than lifted it. That would give the same kind of appearance that we see in your 'damage' picture. It looks like a swipe or movement in a direction. Now I agree that part of the explanation for the directional appearance of the swipe can be attributed to the direction of the roller when the second coat was being applied and lifted that section of the first coat. But... if the latex glove did chemically breakdown and release some contaminating chemical to the body part that was not removed during the mineral spirit breakdown... that might be a potential culprit or explanation...

Dunno... I love a mystery. And since I do my wiping, sanding, painting etc barehanded, the gloves add a new element to the equation that I can't speak definitively from past experience on.

So... what type of latex gloves were they ?

Last edited by Marq; 08/13/06 05:21 AM.