Quote:

I have one question now that I did not see answered (or I missed it). What type of container is used to dip the roller? I see the paint has about a ten-minute window of use so don't want to pour too much and have it try out. Suggestions from your experiences appreciated.

Thanks.

Believe it or not... they do sell a 4 1/2 inch wide paint roller tray...

It looks like the larger paint roller trays that you normally see or are familiar with. These smaller roller trays are usually available just in cheap disposable black plastic.

Here in Canada, I am able to find the 4 1/2 inch wide paint tray at Home Depot and at our local 'Dollar Stores'.

The 'Dollar Stores' operate under different names, but its these stores where they load their shelves with just about every kind of crap that they can sell for under a dollar.

IF you can find a 'Dollar' type store.. you will be able to pick up the cheap plastic 4 1/2 inch trays for the laughingly low price of 2 for $1

I used about 10 of them altogether when I did my car for a grand total of $5 plus tax.

I usually started with a brand new tray EACH time I began a new coat on the car. I could probably washed them down after each use with mineral spirits, but I preferred to always start with a fresh roller tray to ensure that there was no contamination or foreign matter.

But I don't see any problem using a regular size paint tray AND using the cheap plastic liners they sell for those. This way you can still enjoy the benefit of simply tossing out the cheap plastic liner when you start each new coat.

In an el cheapo manner... you can simply use a regular size paint tray and just wash it down after each painting session and just keep re-using it.

NOW... on the topic of the VW Thing... I saw a VW Thing get 'Overhauled' on either that 'Overhauling' television show or maybe it was 'Pimp My Ride'...

IF I had a VW Thing... I would be really tempted to strip it down and do it with a cheap SPRAYER rather than a roller. Which would mean you would have to read a few of the messages posted in this forum from the guys who pumped Rustoleum/Tremclad through their el cheapo paint sprayers.

The reason why you might want to give consideration to the 'el cheapo sprayer' method is because of all the irregular surfaces on a Thing that may push your patience while trying to achieve a professional look...

With cars or trucks with large flat surfaces, the roller paint job works out well and we can easily wet sand ( color sand ) them to get them smooth for glossiness. But those irregular body shapes on 'The Thing' may give you a bit of estra work.

As you will have read in this thread.. the one spot a lot of folks encounter problems is over sanding near edges - to the point where they have to exercise extra care and time at the edges.

On the television show... when they overhauled their 'Thing'... they stripped it of its interior and all exterior stuff and just sprayed EVERYTHING. It came our pretty good...