In preparation for the 'polishing' and 'waxing' of my Brightside paint job I finally concluded that I want a Porter & Cable 7424....

But I am a cheap b4st4rd and I really couldn't justify paying retail for one of those puppies.

I was surfing over at the Corvette message forums and one of the guys had mentioned how he had picked up a 'refurbished' 7424 at his local Porter & Cable repair depots for $150 CDN ( $130 US$) and it came with a one year replacement guarantee.

So I visited the Porter & Cable web site, located where their local 'repair and warranty' depot was in my area and was pleased to find out from a phone call that they have FIVE refurb units sitting in stock at the moment... for only $145 (CDN $ ) and with the full one year replacement warranty on them.

Now... I have seen some advertisers on eBay listing them for about $119 US$ - and kits loaded up with pads for anywhere from $169 US$ up to $250 US$. Not including their shipping and handling charges.

So I just thought I would mention this to anyone who is considering buying the Porter and Cable 7424 and don't want to pay full retail for the units to check out their nearest repair and warranty depot for that company.

One nice thing about refurbs is that normally they are thoroughly gone over before they attempt to sell them. Whatever went bad has been replaced. Often when they replace a blown part they install a better or more cureent part. And with the one year warranty your butt is covered in case it smokes and dies.

Just thought I would toss this info into our conversation in case anyone else is looking to get one of the most popular random obital sanders for polishing and waxing...

Last edited by Marq; 08/12/06 06:56 PM.