Hey guys. I am going to be doing this to my car...very soon. I just spent the past 2 hours reading this thread form the beggining. I got to about page 15. lol. I just want to double check to make sure I am doing every thing right. I drive a 1988 honda accord 4 dr btw...just for reference.

The beggining is what I am most unsure of. I don't know what I should remove, and what or even if I am supposed to tape anything off. I know I am going to sand from 80 grit finishing at 150 grit. But what type of sander should i use, or should i do it by hand? After I figure that out, i know mostly what to do.

1- mix mineral spirits with TremClad until just over the consistancy of water.

2- apply 2 coats, no less than 8 hours apart

3- wetsand with 600 grit- no less than 10 hours after last coat

4- apply 2 more coats

5. wetsand with 800 grit

6. two more coats

7. wetsand with 1000-1500 grit, then polish.

I guess that is it. I know that I am supposed to go over painted areas 1 min after lightly with the roller to remove bubbles. but thats it. please give me suggestions, and the proper procedure if this is wrong. I will be happy to post all pics...before, during, and after each coat, but i need to know for sure if i am doing this properly. Also, I looked on the canadian tire website, and they have Tremclad Rust Paint, and Tremclad Alkyd Tint Base, Masstone Gloss. I'm thinking the first one, but who knows. Link here, just search tremclad. Thanks alot people.

Last edited by brownj218; 04/15/07 03:44 AM.