Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

okay, i tried to avoid wetsanding the final layer because of how the last layer leveled out pretty nicely.

i purchased some cheap polishing compound from Turtle. i used a cheap 4200rpm random orbital to apply, buff & polish. now i'm so upset. it has left the paint all hazy....
_taF

How long after the last coat did you wait till you started polishing? sounds like the paint was still a little soft

over 2 weeks.

Quote:

you need to find a good foam pad to polish not a wool string pad. and dont use rubbing compound use swirl remover compound.

i had the same problem as you and back in the thread i finally read where not to use the wool pad. wetsand the car with 800 grit to get the orange peel out then with 100 grit to get rid of the 800 grit marks then 2000 grit paper to finish then polish, you will be amazed on the outcome. also go to walmart and get the blue microfiber towels, they are blue and are in a 3 pack rolled up they feel thick these won't put scratches in the paint. there are others and when you buy them you can wipe the paint dry and if they do scratch you can take it back and get the right ones.

use 3m 05725 foam polishing pad i got mine on ebay for 30.00 for 2 of them.
then get 3m 06064 swirl remover in a quart for 40.00 from the local bodyshop supply store or on ebay.

then a buffer like the porter cable or any 7 in buffer that has 2 speeds. i have a old sears buffer that is still kickin and ive buffed my car twice so far with great results but i keep finding waves in the paint so i strip and repaint 3 times already now i will sand and buff again and see what happends....

i stayed away from any buffing compound. i picked up a polishing compound.

i looked it up online and i guess you really do have to be a "professional" to get good results from it. here's one guy opinion.

Opinion on Turtle Polish

i'm going to pick up a better buffer/polisher off eBay.

how did you apply the polishing cream?

_taF

i LOVE that turtle waxd polishing coumpound, it's almost idiot proof, you could buff for hours with no chance of going too far. What that guys says, if it's regarding the same stuff is very far away from what i expirenced. Actually just last week someone hit my wifes car in the back, kinda like a scuff mark from pulling out on a angle and just scraping the car not enough to go thru the paint but bad enough, it was about 6" wide and over 12" long, i saw it from a mile away. I got out the trusty $15 buffer, and some turtle wax polishing coumpound and my spray bottle with water in it and did the same proceedure on the charger, mind you this is a 2001 car with BC/CC. SO i put a bunch of coumpound on the terry cloth bonnet, rubbed it in with my finger, and gave it a few sprays of water from my spray bottle; the scuff mark was right by a body line too, on the back bumper cover. buffed it for 10 mins, and right when i'm done buffing i use a wet shammy and whipe off the polish. I was ready to have the rear bumper painted it looked that bad. after buffing it was about 99.9% gone, and actually that spot on the car was more shiny than the rest of the car!!!! i was left with only a few hairline scratches that you can't even see unless your litterelly 2" away from the paint. that's my expirence with the turtle wax polishing coumpound, i LOVE the stuff (and no i don't work for them)!!! plus have you tried their new turtle wax ICE??? don't even get me started on that stuff, let's just say i donated all my mothers/mequires to my mom!!!!

ANTWON - lets see some pics.

idk what i was doing wrong. i washed the car first, then i rubbed the polishing compound in with a foam applicator. seriously, after a few secons, it dried up and became chalky.

i used a microfiber buffer thing to buf it out. it wouldn't come out. i was there for 10 minutes on one spot. i didn't know what to do.

i re-read the instructions and it said to apply with a wet cloth and to buff out before it dries. i damped my foam applicator and applied some of the polishing cream that way and tried it over again. same thing. within a few seconds of applying the polishing cream, it dried up very chalky. i couldn't buff it out.

this time, i applied the compound with the wet foam applicator from one hand and had the microfiber bonnet on the buffer and buffed it out within a split second after applying it. it was the only way to get it out.

even after doing that, it has left the paint all hazy. i washed that area twice with car soap and still can't get rid of the haziness. the wool polishing bonnet didn't work either.

should i wetsand that panel and buff again? or should i wetsand that panel, add another layer of paint, then wetsand and buff?

either way, i'm picking up a stronger buffer/polisher. the other piece of junk i had would always stop or drastically slow down as soon as it touched the body.

thanks,

_taF