Quote:

Anyone have an idea what I did wrong? It's as if the paint came off when rolling. Did I put too much mineral spirits in the mix?

I agree. I don't think the mineral spirits are to blame. The problem here is that we don't know what steps you went through in preparation for the painting or what the condition of the substrata was when you started laying on the paint.

For example, because that is an aero-effect I assume that it is plastic.

Did you sand all the original paint down to the plastic or possibly just expose that one patch of plastic where the failure occured ?

Did you primer the surface or go straight to paint ?

Was there any previous paint on there that might have been different then the rest of the original paint on that part ? Like say where some scrapes were previously sprayed with and aerosol "color match up" spray bomb ?

Did you wash down the sanded parts with water and a 'touch' of dish detergent ?

Did you give the part a final wipe down with a rag and mineral spirit to get any potential contaminants, grease, oil from your hands or remnants of the sanded paint etc ?

Was the part thoroughly dry before you added the first layer of paint ? ( It's amazing what a hint of water embedded in the previously sanded surface might do to affect adhesion.

Dunno... I would probably sand that part smooth again... even if it meant removing the current coats of paint. Then... starting from scratch lay on a primer layer to begin with to ensure adhesion and a uniform color on to which to lay your paint color.

I can't think of too many other factors that would have cause that paint to separate from the original layer although we did notice earlier in this thread where one of the chaps had problmes with the paint on his front 'plastic' bumper because the mold release agent ( for when the bumber was manufactured ) was able to act as a barrier between the paint and the bumper..

Last edited by Marq; 08/12/06 06:36 PM.