Quadrajet,

If you have rust, I would first sand it to remove as much as you can and smooth it out. My car had surface rust on the roof and hatch. I used an angle grinder with a cup brush to get as much of the rust out as I could. That unfortunately left pits where the rust had dug in. Then I used Rust bullet with a roller to convert the rust and fill in the pits. The rust bullet didn't level all that well and had a good amount of orange peel to it so I sanded it so that it was a bit smoother. Then I went ahead and painted using rustoleum.

It is VERY important to start with as clean a surface as you can when painting. I used Super Clean to wash my car to make sure it was Clean before I started the painting the first time. After that I have just been wiping it down with MS before I start.

Bottom line is, if you have rust you should treat it with something, (sandblasting, rustbullet, navel jelly, etc) before you paint it for the best results.

Glad to have you aboard!!! Good luck and post pics, we love to see other roller jobs!!!

gerbs

Last edited by v8mirage; 03/10/07 01:31 PM.