Quote:

Joined up for this thread. Thanks 69charger.

I'm seriouisly considering this for my TransAM. How do decals work out with the tremclad paint are there any adhesion or spontaeous combustion problems?

Thanks again.

Hehehehhe... I will tell you one dumb mistake I made. I went to add the pin stripe to my car AFTER I had waxed the puppy. The [Edited by Moparts - Keep it clean] thing wouldn't stick at all. I should have known better.

So I rubbed down the area where I planned to put the pin stripe with iso alcohol to remove the wax in that specific area. The pin stripe then adhered absolutely properly. I then rewaxed over the pin striped area and brought back the shine.

I can safely say that IF I had put my pinstripe on BEFORE waxing the car there would have been no problem whatsoever. I am very sure the same applies to the Tremclad/Rustoleum paint job.

HOWEVER... the only advice I would give you on adding decals over a fresh paint job is to wait at least two weeks or so. This will allow WHATEVER traces of the mineral spirit or paint carrier that is still evaporating through the surface of the paint.

I can imagine that these evaporating gases might have 'some' effect on the adhesive that is used to attach the decal. As well... the decal would be putting an almost airtight seal over the fresh paint and that might slow down the overall curing of the paint trapped below the decal.

This would be especially true if you have a 79-81 Trans-Am and were slapping the large screaming eagle on the hood of your car. That thing covers a lot of hood surface...

Last edited by Marq; 09/13/06 10:07 PM.