Quote:

Hey 69charger, I've been folowing this thread since day one and really like what I've seen. The only thing that concerns me about using rustoleum paint is problems with fading over time. I work on tugboats that see nothing but rustoleum paint. Over the course of a couple years the paint gets a faded or chalky look or more so loses its luster. I know, how can you compare a tugboat to a beautiful classic car but just looking at the characteristics of the paint makes me wonder? Do you think that the extra steps taken of wet sanding and WAXING with the turtle wax greatly lessen the chances of the paint losing its luster or fading that I have noticed in an industrial environment (or if it were over time to lose its luster just buff it with some wax to bring it back possibly) . Other than that the rustoleum paint at work holds up well to its surroundings its as someone mentioned before hard as nails. As for the adhesion to the body of a car I wouldn't have any doughts about using it only to be sure proper steps were taken to give it a good surface to lay onto as in no heavy rust, dirt, or oil on the body of the car and if over old paint having the body roughed up to give it something to bite onto. What are ones thoughts on this comment? anyone? Jay (Keep rolling on fellas your paint jobs are looking great)

the prep is as any other paint job, BUT the use of primer is not necessary, prep with 400, do all the body work, and go straight to paint. as for the fading issue, think about it, if you take any paint job, paint the car and expose it to the elements, any paint will fade, there is no more maintance to the tremclad/rustoleum paint as compared with auto paints, and the durability is probabally better then an auto paint as far as resisting scratching/chipping because it really is tough paint.

here is a pic that i took about a month ago, the paint was done in 2000, middle of winter, tremclad orange:

that paint job has seen 35,000 MI, and counting, no fade, and it looks like the day i painted it.