Quote:

Hello all, this is the blind guy with the knight rider carr... not one reply to the polising question...

anyway, I did anothe coat and left my test piece out in the sun for almost 2 weeks... That should be plenty dry time... I will try the turtle wax polish again and see what happens... if it doesn't work out, then I'll try and find some stinky mineral spirits...

I do have a can of actual gloss black tremclad and clear coat... none of which I wanted to crack open until I had satisfactory results with the rustoleum... painted it was very shiny, but when I polished it with Turtle Wax it got dull...

Does anyone have a pic of tremclad / rustoleum with the brush on clear coat? It may be a couple of weeks before I get to that stage, just curious to see other's work. thanks.

Rafael

I don't remember the polishing question. If your polishing is not leaving a shine- try letting it cure longer, and do it when the temperature is cooler than hot, as hot seems to make the paint a bit softer. Also you might want to put some dry-time between sanding with 2000 and polishing.

When I polished up part of my red paint job, when I polished immediately after wetsanding the small test area, I got a haze. When I went to another part of the car, sanded with 2000, then came back the next day and polished, it polished really well. The difference could have been that it got to dry longer, AND/OR that I gave it some time to settle/dry after wetsanding it.

But doing both of those things should help, and couldn't hurt. That's my plan for my canvas white paint job too. 3 weeks of curing, wetsand with 2000, wait a day or two, then polish.

edit; another variable just came into mind between the first (hazy) and second (good) polish, so now I have NO IDEA what specifically helped me polish better the 2nd time around. The first time, I remember using the soft pad that came with my cheap coleman 6" random orbital buffer. The second time (successful time), I was using the one that's more like a cloth than a pad and seems to be harsher than the pad.

Hope this helps, sorry if it confuses! They are things to try, anyway.

Last edited by Exit1965; 07/27/06 12:53 AM.