Quote:

instrument clusters werent sold as an assembly

so your housing is dated 1969 but that doesnt show what date all of the gauges + trim are/were dated

Who ever said that it was sold as an assembly? Many NOS pieces we used were pieced together to get the desired result. Could you please refer to the Chrysler drawing or references that specify this color change in the dash or is this simply an observation of yours? I wonder if there was ever any variation in simulated wood grain regarding color? Come to think of it, I wonder if every wood grain had the exact same pattern or if they might have even exhibited variations in their patterned look? I guess I need to take it out and find that slightly “lighter” color that you seem to feel more comfortable with. I think I might really be in trouble now!! Look at my door panel insert(s) in the attached picture. It appears the opposite was true concerning those. The NOS versions seem to be lighter than the ones that were original to the car and with a differing grain pattern. WOW! I guess I need to start throwing away ALL my NOS wood grain parts.

Those dog gone wood grain variations have to go and ruin everything!!

(Sorry to disappoint but it is positively a 1970 issue wood grain dash piece!)