but why not allow an improvement over the original sloppy placement of the tire decal for example. If it was placed a little straighter than the assembly guy who rushed it, it would look a little neater.

I think that 99% of ALL manufacturer decals were placed at the factory a bit crooked. To put any decal on with precise straightness would be an effort that I don't think any employee would have taken the time to do. We manufacture decals for the older muscle cars and they are certainly a nice detailed touch of nostalgia for the restoration markets. These neat little items (back then) were nothing more than a necessary evil that were federally mandated for emissions, tire pressure, radiator coolant, etc..... The factory didn't care how they went on just as long as they were applied in close proximity to the specified area. Most people who bought the cars in 1970 didn't even pay attention to them until they were faced with adding coolant, air to the tires or checking the timing. I don't like the "sloppiest" look but I don't mind a little "realism" or "variation" when it comes to the placement. I see many cars at shows that line up the air cleaner wing nuts either perfectly vertical or horizontally. I see the GM guys that position their "Delco Battery" caps to where the lines are in a perfect horizontal pattern. Another deliberate “position” is when the valve stems of a wheel are lined up perfectly with the Goodyear winged foot logo, right above it. I think that detracts from the detail of the car and comes across as being "cheesy" looking. To each their own I guess. I also like a nicer look however. Some aspects and details killed me to have to recreate on this vehicle but what the heck….. it was correct for the car.