Quote:

Quote:

I have a 70 340 Cuda, built in Los Angeles, that I am presently restoring. The K-member shows NO sign of ever being painted black!!! Looks to have been bare steel from day one. Car appears to have never been apart previously. Has anyone seen another like this? I know Resto Rick states he has, on his web page! Anyone else?

I have a 70 Challenger, that has a gray painted K-frame. Car was never apart before I got it, also had the part number stamped right on top of the gray paint. I'm sure it came that way, so I restored it the same way. Of course I get questioned all the time, but I have "before" pictures to back it up.

I have seen several grey painted K frames and transmission crossmembers with the part number as you state, but they were always service replacement parts.

Here is something that people should note. My shop is adjacent to a volume body shop that does dealership work for several dealers. At least once a week there is a NEW car there that is being repaired from damage in transit to the dealer or just from being moved around the lot. These cars are then sold as brand new, with the new owner unaware of the damage(unless it's very severe). And this is in 2008, I could only imagine that it was much worse during the time these cars were manufactured. So if I saw a grey K-frame, I would probably chalk that one up to previous damage, and not a mfg gaffe.

MB