Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Does your car have a 203 SPD?

If so, it is already in my database. If not then it would be the third EW1/V6B/H5B5 car I know about. The V-code car has a white vinyl top though.

You should not have cropped out the part that shows where the crooked tire pressure decal was! I recall that one of my good "friends" was upset that I had a quick response to someone else's question regarding the decal placements. This picture, taken over two years ago, was to make sure that the decal will be put back just as crooked and in the EXACT same place. It really wasn't that hard recalling a small aspect of the project that was so thoroughly thought thru at the time.

I understand recreating the originality but what would be wrong with some minor improvements like placing the decal(s) more neatly or as the factory intended even if the line worker did not execute the application properly?

We thought the beating... I mean challenge, would be worth it in the end. Seriously, it really was a ton of extra effort to recreate the original status of the car. I mentioned in an earlier post about trying to sign your name twice the same exact way. It is almost an impossibility to accomplish that. We did our best however to follow the original patina of this car. Is it an exact to the most nth degree carbon copy duplicate? No probably not! Just remember that everyone here agrees that even the guys making these cars could not follow their own "signatures" every single time. Trying to do what a stranger/employee did 38 years ago is even more difficult. As I stated earlier, the paint job took over Six months to accomplish! At least 4-5 weeks of that time was planning and discussing what angles and amounts of coverage each area would receive. (We literally put back the exact drip patterns that we found on the underneath of the car! Trying to walk in the footprints of someone else's work can be very difficult.) Also keep in mind that once the actual spraying started, Steve would have just ONE shot at hitting the target. The firewall seam sealer was also a project in and of itself. It took about 1 WEEK, doing that procedure over and over until we got it to flow out just like the original pattern. As Steve worked with it we could see how it was reacting when applied to the surface. After about 14 tubes of the two part expanding sealer and MANY attempts....BINGO! It matched pretty closely. We are about 95% correct in reproducing this particular cars original features. If anyone saw it without the original comparisons, you would think that it was just a new car from that period of time. You have to hold the "before" pictures against the "after" or finished features to nitpick the differences. Here is the comparison example of the firewall seam sealer that was referenced above:

4509068-ChallFirewall.jpg (413 downloads)