Quote:

Don't always assume that EVERY piece had to be gold colored to be factory correct. Until you have seen EVERY original car built, with every variation and vendor/supplier, that is a huge assumption to make! And based on what? Maybe 10, 15 or even 20 cars you have seen? What about the originals that didn't have gold coloring? Are they just another fluke find of mine?

Dave, Have you seen originals without the coating, or was the coating just weathered off? (I'm looking for data)

Thanks for helping out with this topic guys! The gold coloring on the turn signal housings is usually weathered off. It is hard to tell it was ever there. I accidentally removed some of it with Tarn-X trying to clean them up. Paint Stripper (low odor aircraft remover) does Not harm the gold finish. The best place to find this gold finish will be under the factory applied reflective silver paint behind the lens. This area has been protected from the elements. Just apply a little paint stripper and then brush/wash it off to reveal how the housing was originally finished. Dave, since you have NOS units on the car, your originals should be available for experimentation? Anyone else, please give this a shot and post your results here. So far I haven't seen an assembly line piece without that gold coating.

We've already established that some of the over the counter parts came without the gold coating, so please don't use NOS parts for this experiment, Were looking for assembly line stuff here.

Mine has the gold coating. 70 challenger SPD 8-26-69 (Hamtramck)

Thanks Again to all!
Tav