Quote:

Third and probably the most siginificant reason was what you're experiencing here. The amount of experts that constantly critique what you're attempting to do just made me lose interest in a 100% correct factory restoration. I applaudDave, just wanted to say the car looks awesome and you for having the time, funds and most of all thick skin to take on such a project.

That being said, I was hoping you could answer a technical question for me regarding undercoating. For a non undercoated car, I know the wheel wells were undercoated. But, I've been told that the area behind the rear wheels, from the wheelwell back to the bumper was also undercoated on a non undercoating car. Do you know if that's true and if so does this also apply to B-bodies? Thanks, Mike

Hi Mike,
I can't understand how all these "critics" have never done this type of project yet they seem to know much more than someone who has. They are the same people who would sit down with Babe Ruth and precede to critique him on his technique and ability for hitting homeruns. They don't discourage me; they only throw gas on the fire!

Anyway, no two cars had the same amount of residual undercoating on them. The primary reason for undercoating the wheel wells was to sound deaden the rocks that were thrown up from the tires. I do not see anywhere in the factory drawings where the area behind the rear wheel well was called out for being targeted with the undercoat. I have seen where it was over sprayed with varying amounts but I think the primary purpose was to hit the immediate wheel well surface area. Keep in mind this is one of those “never say never” areas of gray.